Interview with Men's Physique Competitor: Krystan Hosein


overPUMPED.com Featured Athlete

Today the overPUMPED.com's Featured Athlete is Men's Physique competitor Krystan Hosein who recently won his class and the overall title at the 23rd Clinton Sammy Bodybuilding Classic.

Krystan has a very funny outgoing personality and he's full of confidence. If you have ever trained in a gym where he was present you'd have definitely noticed him and surprisingly it may not be the physique that gets your attention but the aura that surrounds him. He's also always willing to assist anyone who needs a spot or is seeking advice.

We met with Krystan just before an early morning workout.



INTERVIEW:

[Q] What is your background?

Currently I'm a Medical Doctor at Sangre Grande Hospital but that's not where I started. Now, I went to Med School at UWI Mona which shaped my personality today as I joined a fraternity which taught me leadership and public speaking skills

I've always been into sports, basketball football, cricket, I played everything I got the chance to. I was told that, as a child I'd always run to get around and I would be outdoors most of the time, so much that my mom actually used to beg me to sit still and watch TV.

I ran track for a number of years and that sport taught me the individuality and self motivation that I apply today. I also did some modelling during Med School and I believe that too has helped.

I've always felt a need to succeed in everything I do and I do realise that failure is also part of the recipe for success.


[Q] How and when did you get involved in fitness?

I'v been training in the gym for roughly ten years. I started with a trainer at the University Of The Southern Caribbean and I've been consistent since then


[Q] What motivated to take your current path with respect to fitness?

Really track & Field is my thing but it is such a fragile thing where one injury can end your career. This sport however allows me to work my current job and still give it maximum attention. Also, this is not just something I do, it's a lifestyle. It makes you extraordinary. Greg Plitt said "normality is what weak people call living, I call it death"


[Q] How often do you train and what’s your split?

That's a question that I'm always being asked even since Med School but I deeply believe that if you really want something you'll make time for it, there's always something that can be pushed aside. I always say you have to want success as badly as you want to breathe.

As for my split, I plan my workout first thing each morning and I never sacrifice my workout for anything, but I don't workout for more than one hour to one hour and a half max


[Q] What do you do for cardio?

I don't do much cardio around competition, other than that I do it to keep my body fat low. I don't do long aerobic cardio sessions as what works for me is HIIT sessions that last around 4 minutes


[Q] Do you train abs directly?

Yes. Each morning I train my abs and only skip training around competition as I don't want to be sore during the show


[Q] What’s your diet like?

If we discuss diet in detail we'd be here until tomorrow. ha ha ha. Diet accounts for 85% of my training, and I think the hardest part is having the right mindset and focus. I've tried many options including eating up to six times per day but I've found what works for me is just three to four meals per day

Generally I eat a huge breakfast, it's my biggest meal which is where I get my carbs. At lunch and dinner I eat vegetables and protein and immediately after my workout, I have a small amount of carbs

I also have a cheat meal (high calorie, high carbs) once every two weeks to keep my metabolism elevated


[Q] What would your breakfast look like?

Sweet potato, brown rice, whole grain pasta, whole grain bread, 5 whole eggs


[Q] What’s your favourite healthy food?

That would probably be chicken breast but I also like oats and rice cakes


[Q] What’s your favourite cheat meal?

Well, ice cream and doubles would be my favourites but generally, I make a list each time I feel to eat something outside my regular diet, and when it's time for the cheat meal I basically clear the list. ha ha ha!


[Q] How difficult was it to get to where you are today?

At times it has been very difficult but because I love what I do, I don't mind working really hard


[Q] What are your fitness goals?

I plan to go to the men's physique in Miami Fitness next year and ultimately fitness modelling and the Olympia


[Q] Do you have a mentor or someone that motivates you?

There are two people that motivate me in this arena and they are, Mike O'Hearn and Greg Plitt. I also really admire Eric Thomas as a motivational speaker


[Q] What are your strengths as a physique competitor?

I've been told that it's my confident personality and this has worked for me many times in the past


[Q] If you had to choose one, what would be your favourite body part?

I really like working my legs. I like how they look and after a leg workout is the only time I feel like I could hardly walk out of the gym


[Q] Any tips for someone looking to follow in your footsteps?

I can give you the basics but you must take it upon yourself to make the effort, be consistent and give 100%.

Success is a lonely road, I give you these three words, Belief, Consistency and Planning!