Interview with Fitness Instructor: Will Grayson



overPUMPED.com Featured Trainer

Recently we decided to do a Yoga class and it was quite an experience. The class started with a few simple positions then the intensity gradually increased with each movement. In the end we were drenched in sweat and feeling rejuvenated. The instructor is known by his clients as Will and for this post, he has been selected as overPUMPED.com's Featured Trainer.



We met with Will after the class at the Xtreme Fitness gym in Arima.


INTERVIEW:

[Q] What is your background?

My background is Latin Dance, Yoga and Zumba as well as Psychology and Sociology. I have been doing Zumba for three years and practising yoga for four. My interests are in anything that associated with mind-body connection


[Q] Exactly what is Yoga?

Yoga is the integration of mind body and spirit. It is non competitive and has to do with the balancing of human energy and the integration of that energy. Many people focus on their body only and forget that you are much more than your physical body. While Yoga involves a lot of stretching, it is also about core strength


[Q] When were you first introduced to Yoga?

I was first introduced to Yoga four years ago by a lady by the name of Karen Blackman


[Q] What has Yoga thought you?

Yoga taught me to finish what I start as well as how to control my breathing. It has also thought me to control my anger and impatience. We have seven Chakras (centres of energy) and Yoga teaches us to align them


[Q] Are there many different forms of yoga? If so, what do you practice??

Yes many forms exist such as Meditational Yoga, Hatha Yoga and Vinyasa Yoga which is what I practice


[Q] Why do you think people, especially men, are intimidated by yoga?

I believe that most people have a misconception of yoga, thinking that it's only about stretching and sitting in meditational poses. As for men, the truth is men don't like to be taught. They have this concept that they already know and I've experienced it even in my Latin Dance and Zumba Classes. Men tend to focus on their masculine energy which is more aggressive so they prefer to lift weights or even spin


[Q] Do you think this is the case internationally or is it just the Yoga environment like in Trinidad?

I believe it has a lot to do with the culture in Trinidad because we tend to associate masculinity with aggression.


[Q] Do you agree that even when searching Yoga on-line it's very rare that you would see a male demonstrating the Yoga poses? It's always portrayed in an elegant and very graceful manner.

That may be the case but, if we consider the origin of Yoga, it was originally practised by men in India, but from my experience most things that have to do with spirituality, relaxation or grace attract women. Yoga is for everyone and it teaches you to use your body in both the aggressive and graceful manner, ultimately, it brings balance


[Q] How does one progress in yoga?

Yoga is a discipline where, you get better with practice over time and gain more control over mind and body


[Q] How do you keep the students (from various walks of life) in your class engaged and motivated?

With the universal principles of Love, Life, Harmony and Discipline


[Q] What do you think are the most common goal(s) among those that come to your class?

I think the most common goals are discipline and flexibility


[Q] What’s your most memorable moment practising yoga?

Most memorable is my first yoga class as a student. It was an eye opener because I underestimated it but the instructor encouraged me not to give up on myself. I was immediately attracted to it and realised I wanted to continue practising


[Q] Do you have a favourite pose? If so, which is it?

Yes. Warrior 1 and 2 because they are strong poses and I also like the name


[Q] What are the rewards of being a yoga instructor?

Looking around the class and seeing healing taking place. I have seen many people transform and just them thanking me after the class is a reward in itself


[Q] What advice would you give to someone looking to begin practising yoga?

I would advise them to try to master it and to know from the minute you walk into the room that it's not about anybody else, it's about you and you must never give up on yourself


[Q] You mentioned earlier that you also conduct a Zumba class. What is Zumba?

Zumba simply put, is dance aerobics. Losing weight and toning up by having fun


[Q] Is it popular in Trinidad?

Yes. Zumba right now is a craze and not only in Trinidad


[Q] Do you teach other dance as well?

Yes I teach ballroom and Latin dance. My speciality is Latin dance like Salsa, Meringue, Cha Cha and Rumba


[Q] Is it strictly recreational?

No. I have competed in the past, representing Trinidad a few years ago in Puerto Rico and Miami. I go to the world Salsa Congress in New York. I'm certified by some of the world's best Latin dancers like Eddie Torres. Latin dance is a profession around the world


[Q] Do you get a lot of persons interested in dance locally?

There is a whole world of dance in Trinidad. I have a studio in Arouca and I get quite a few students. People love to dance, especially the younger folks


[Q] Do you find like yoga there is more interest among the women as opposed to men?

Yes. But it's slowly changing over time


[Q] Any closing remarks?

Practising Yoga and dance is a form of therapy so I would encourage everyone to try it at least once. I also do dance therapy and give motivational speeches.

In closing I would just like to thank overPUMPED.com for this opportunity.