Interview with Personal Trainer: Paul Carrera



overPUMPED.com Featured Trainer

Paul Carrera is one of Trinidad & Tobago's most experienced Fitness Instructors with a wide range of expertise. He has been selected as overPUMPED.com's Featured Trainer for his many achievements and continued contribution to the field of physical health and fitness.


We met briefly with Paul at the Xtreme Fitness gym in Arima where he currently works.


INTERVIEW:

[Q] What is your core background?

My core background is a mix of Muay Thai, Roman Greco Wrestling, Jiu Jitsu, Taekwando


[Q] How long have you been involved in fitness?

Since I was 8 years old


[Q] Has it always been in the area of resistance training?

I’ve been resistance training since the age of 12 with my buddies using light weight. We didn’t progress to heavy weight until around age 17


[Q] What got you interested in personal training?

I got interested due to past wrestling injuries from high school which resulted in me having to undergo rehabilitative sessions. It’s the physiotherapy aspect of it that really peaked my interest, seeing people who really needed training and not just for physical appearance


[Q] Are you currently certified as personal trainer?

Yes, I was certified in California


[Q] Do you think all personal trainers should be certified?

Yes, I do believe that all PTs should be certified because you deal with a wide spectrum of clients and you don’t want to put them at risk. I do however believe that experience overall in the end supersedes certification


[Q] What do you see as the benefits of being certified?

It provides the essential core knowledge and most people feel more comfortable working with a certified personal trainer


[Q] Why do you think people need personal training?

People need it in order to be taken to the next level by learning to use muscles that may otherwise have been neglected and avoiding costly mistakes. So it’s important for passing on the knowledge. I don’t just train clients I also teach them so they can leave a lot more knowledgeable


[Q] What are some common mistakes people make when working out?

The main mistakes are improper breathing and improper form both of which are critical


[Q] How do you motivate clients?

I remind them how badly they want it and remind them that it’s all in their minds because 90% of this is mental. You gotta have good dose of bad mind!


[Q] Are you also a nutritionist?

Yes. I’m also chef and I love to cook


[Q] Do you provide clients with diet guidelines etc.?

Yes I do I provide them with changes to their diets based on their goals. I firstly identify their bad habits and try to eliminate those. I do however allow a cheat day every now and then


[Q] Do you tailor the training program based on the needs of the particular client or is there a one size fits all program?

Of course I tailor the programs as it’s vastly different for the individuals trying to lose weight from bodybuilders and athletes


[Q] Does all training take place in the gym?

No, sometimes dependent on the availability, I take some clients outdoors. It’s not practical for all clients though


[Q] What would you say is most sought after by clients (building muscle, weight loss, etc.)

Overall body sculpting is most sought after and in many cases it tends to involve weight loss.


[Q] Getting results is solely dependent on the client. So do you ever guarantee results?

It’s all on the client but I do guarantee results if the client guarantees the effort. I remind them of that old cliché saying, “You can bring horse to water...”. I constantly speak to them and push them to get results and to date I have not failed with client


[Q] Have you ever worked with any extremely challenging clients?

Yes I have. If however, the challenge is in the client not doing what’s necessary to get the job done I have no issue refunding and turning away a client. At the end of the day if I train someone, they represent me when they walk out on the street


[Q] Do you have most memorable client past or present?

Well I’ve worked with so many people from diabetics to people on wheelchairs. I have some clients that surprised even me as they went way beyond. There is one client that currently stands out, I met her at 216lbs and to date she’s lost almost 20% body weight and she’s still going at it. She stands out because she really has heart


[Q] You mentioned working with athletes? How different is their program from the regular joe?

The programs are drastically different but it varies dependent on the athlete. I’ve worked with Bodybuilders of which I’ve trained five champions, CrossFit, MMA and Wrestlers


[Q] I’m sure you’re familiar with HIIT as it seems to be a hot topic these days. What are your thoughts?

Yes I am. It’s not suitable for everyone. A full physical evaluation should be completed prior to taking on this form of training


[Q] How about Cross Fit?

Like HIIT, it’s not for everyone so again I recommend full physical evaluation


[Q] When do you make time for your own workouts?

I cheat, whenever I get time. Most times I just hammer out one body part per day. I usually train to failure because this is the only place where failure equals success


[Q] What are the rewards of being a personal trainer?

Seeing my clients come in with their heads down lacking confidence and when I’m finished with them, they walk out taller than a redwood tree with their heads held high