Interview with Spin Instructor: Max Henry


overPUMPED.com Featured Trainer

Today overPUMPED.com features a local legend in the Spin arena. Max Henry is well known on the East-West Corridor for his Spin classes and if you have never taken at least one class, then we suggest you make every effort to do so. However, we wish you good luck getting into a class during this Carnival season as in the words of another local legend "...Carnival time, say they want to look slim, ...now everybody on a bike if yuh see them riding... Spin Class, Spin Class..." 



We had a chat with the very quiet and reserved Spin instructor after his class at Xtreme Fitness Arima.

INTERVIEW:


[Q] How long have you been involved in fitness?

At least 10 years


[Q] What got you interested in Spin?

I participated in my first spin class while looking for a good cardio workout and I really enjoyed it, so I continued for sometime until one day the instructor couldn't make it to a class. I was encouraged by the other participants to lead the class that day, so I did and, well, the rest is history. I've been doing it ever since


[Q] Are you certified as a Spin instructor?

Yes, I was certified by Lemond


[Q] What are the benefits of Spin?

It's a great cardio workout and helps build leg muscles


[Q] What are some common mistakes people make when working out generally?

People waste too much time being pre-occupied when doing traditional workouts which isn't very likely in a spin class


[Q] How do you motivate clients in your classes?

I try to make it as much fun as possible


[Q] So I guess this plays a big part when planning a class?

Yes, especially in selecting the music. I would usually choose music based on how I want the class to flow, but through experience I can now freestyle a class to almost any music


[Q] What pointers would you give to someone who’s never taken a Spin class before?

Go at your own pace and try to enjoy the class


[Q] Do you tailor the session based on the clients (level of fitness, goals, etc)?

Definitely. Sometimes I do classes with more elderly folks so I may take down the tempo a bit and for the experienced spinners I turn up the tempo to the "Max"


[Q] What would you say is most sought after by clients in your classes?

Most clients are trying to loose weight and tone. Sometimes I get athletes looking to improve their endurance


[Q] Do you have a most memorable client or group of clients?

Probably my first class, they encouraged me and will always have a special place in my heart


[Q] I have seen a lot of spin bike variations, are there any models you prefer?

I definitely prefer the Lemond brand as it gives the most comfortable ride and it's durable


[Q] Do you see any new trends in Spin developing?

I haven't really seen any new trends developing as there isn't that much you can do on a bike but I believe my class is evolving. I think I mix it up enough to keep people wanting more


[Q] Would you say that Spin is seasonal?

No I would not but in Trinidad the Gyms are generally most crowded around Carnival


[Q] When do you make time for your resistance workouts?

I train at least five days a week, mostly in the morning. It's a must for me in order to maintain my physique


[Q] What are the rewards of being a Spin instructor?

Well other than making some extra money, I meet a lot of new people and make a lot of friends


[Q] Do you offer any other training in addition to Spin?

Yes, I also do circuit training and sometimes may take small groups to do trail running


[Q] Any tips for getting the best results from a Spin class?

Use your tension, it's your friend, go at your own pace and take a break/rest when necessary. At the end of the day always remember the size of the effort equals the size of the reward


Max was also featured in the Express Woman Magazine last year, you can read this article here.