Interview with Capoeirista: Azulão Manganga


overPUMPED.com Featured Trainer

Today overPUMPED.com features Sekhet Neb Amunwah a Capoeirista from East Trinidad, known in the Capoeira Camará Grupo and the fraternity of Capoeira as Est Azulão Manganga.

Capoeira has been featured in many action movies and even on Sesame Street, the moves seem extremely acrobatic and made up of a barrage of constant attacks. As intrigued as we were by what we saw on the big screen, we decided to get a true understanding from a real life Capoeirista.


INTERVIEW:


[Q] How did you get your Capoeira name?

The masters of Capoeira would usually observe the students personality and name them accordingly. Because of my size and complexion as I was the darkest person in my academy at that time they called me Azula which means big blue and Mandanga is a name given to those who are very tricky and smart.


[Q] What is your background?

I went to school in the US in 1994 and began studying Capoeira in Miami Ft Lauderdale USA under Prof Joae Neto. I was studying to become a Chef, which I am by the way, and as a hobby I took up gymnastics. One day I saw a guy practising Capoeira so I enquired and found that it was the cheaper option. From that point Capoeira became my hobby.

When I completed my studies in 1997, I returned to Trinidad and started to practice Capoeira in a savannah near to my home. People became curious and I was invited to do a presentation at Queens Hall. The audience at Queens Hall didn't seem very receptive during the presentation however by the end I received a standing ovation.

From that point Capoeira began to spread throughout the country and in July 1998 we launched the first registered Capoeira Academy in Trinidad & Tobago at Barataria Regional Complex.



[Q] Was there Capoeira in Trinidad prior to this?

Oh yes there was. A gentleman by the name of Brian Jarah taught the Angola style of Capoeira in a small school in the Lavantille area. There was also a Lady at the Abiadama School that taught the same style as myself.

The style I practice is called Regional in Portuguese (pronounced 'Hey gional') but I am now a contemporary Capoeirista which embraces the philosophy of Regional Angola and keeps evolving the martial art where needed.


[Q] You mentioned different forms of Capoeira. Can you give us some background? What is Capoeira?

The word Capoeira means "Grass cut low" or "Little basket". It was given that name by the Governor of Bahia because hundreds of years ago Africans were taken from the motherland and forced into labour in may parts of the world including Brazil and the Caribbean. Among the slaves there was a martial art called Batuk which is very similar to Judo and the African slaves were often punished for practising martial arts so they began to camouflage it within some of the native African dance.

Capoeira however is no dance, in my experience it's one of the most aggressive fighting styles I've ever seen. The acrobatic aspect was introduced maybe in the 1980's.

Capoeira is a very efficient martial art and to be honest, when I first started, I myself didn't believe it would be effective until I was forced to defend myself in a street fight in my hometown. I was totally amazed by its efficiency and that fuelled an even deeper interest and love of the art form.


[Q] How popular is Capoeira in Trinidad presently?

Capoeira has really taken off. The foundation was laid and now there are so many people that want to learn Capoeira. There are at lease five vibrant schools in existence and there is an association called CATT (Capoeira Association of Trinidad & Tobago).


[Q] What about that strange musical instrument used when practising Capoeira?

It's called a Berimbau. Initially the drum was used and years after the Berimbau was introduced. It's a bow instrument consisting of a string and calabash.



[Q] How often do you train

I train every day but it may not always consist of going to the gym or the martial aspect as Capoeira is very complex.


[Q] How can someone interested in learning Capoeira begin?

You can contact me via the directory of trainers on overPUMPED.com

We currently have three locations;

Arima at Cardio Fitness Saturday mornings from 10 am to 11 for kids and 11am to 12 noon for adults

St Augustine at UWI on Tuesday & Thursdays from 6pm to 8pm

San Fernando at Pleasantville Community Centre on Mondays & Wednesdays from 6pm to 8pm


[Q] Any special requirements?

All it takes is discipline.


[Q] Capoeira may seem intimidating for a lot of people due to the level of acrobatics, is it difficult for a beginner? Does the intensity increase gradually?

I can usually tell if someone will continue with the classes for a prolonged period based on our first interaction.

Capoeira requires focus and determination, a student comes to mind, we call him 'Urso' or Beer because of his size and he is one of my fastest student to-date. Many people say if he can do it then so can they, but I say to them, he can do it because he focused his mind to accomplish the task, if you want it you can get it but it comes with sacrifice like many things in life.


[Q] How about the females?

We currently have five active females. I believe they like it when they are as good as the guys and they tend to be more aggressive than the guys.



[Q] Can Capoeira be taken solely as a self defence program?

Yes. Each year we offer courses in Life Defence (avoiding situations from occurring) and Self Defence (applied when life defence fails).

We create two settings for teaching, an Academy setting and a 'Rua' or Street setting.


[Q] Do you see Capoeira making a significant move into the mixed martial arts arena?

It has already. A lot of practitioners have entered MMA competitions and have been successful.


[Q] Any closing comments for our audience?

I have been studying Capoeira for the last sixteen years and it has given me everything as I'm a full-time Capoeista. I believe I have impacted many lives in a positive way and also some negatively, as we can't always please everyone. I thank God for good health and the ability to do what I love, I am also thankful to my ancestors, Mestre Bola, family and students for the support and extra encouragement. Asé